Quote of the day

“I find economics increasingly satisfactory, and I think I am rather good at it.”– John Maynard Keynes

Friday 27 November 2015

Trade union reform

I know, I know, trade union reform is a supply-side policy that is all about freeing enterprise from the stranglehold hold of bolshy unionistas; there is another side, however, nicely encapsulated in this from tutor2u:

Here is an excellent research document from the New Economics Foundation looking at the importance of trade unions in the modern economy and, perhaps, as a counterpoint to yesterday's Trade Union Bill.
I've just glanced at it but there's a lot of really useful data and whilst I'm unlikely to agree with all of the analysis, I still think that unions have an important role to play in the modern economy in enhancing productivity, employee education and protecting workers - not least in teaching.
This BBC clip looks at the Trade Union Bill and its implications for the Trade unions. I can see another lesson starter emerging for when we're studying trade unions.

No comments:

Post a Comment